Wednesday 25 February 2015

Colour from the season - Blackthorn grey (plus Exhibition News)


Aware that I haven't put pen to paper for quite some time, yesterday on my regular morning tramp with Luna, I peered out from my waterproofs into the horizontal hail and biting wind to see if there was anything, a single branch, a leaf, a dull or colourful something, anything, that I felt enthused to draw (it is February after all!). Look what I noticed, isn't it amazing!? I thought so, a natural barbed wire (ouch!).

Actually grey, just in case you hadn't already heard, is 2015's new black. It's not just clothes, but hair, walls, and there's a seasonal abundance of it here in Devon. Combined here (as it was on the branch) with Scarred Blackthorn red, (think Pantone colour of the year Marsala??) it's right on trend. Top tip... If you paint Farrow and Ball's 'Dove Tale' with a slash of 'Brinjal', you'd have a room not far off the fabulous warm colours of a Blackthorn branch...




I love this fine porcelain vase, perfect for such a Blackthorn branch, by Gilda Westermann...

Some early dates for 2015 fairs and events where I'll be exhibiting my textiles:


Art Trek Open Studios - North Devon, May 23rd/24th and 29th/30th.



More to follow later in the year…

…from my seasonal colour sample notebook.