Saturday, 7 September 2013

VStripe Fabric

These are the first sample lengths of my new fabric design VStripe. They came back from the printers earlier this Summer, but this is the first opportunity I've had to photograph them. Here are a few photos taken in my studio this week.

The design inspiration came partly from the angular and geometric textile designs of the Weiner Werkstätte from the 1920's and early 1930's. The Weiner Werkstätte (Vienna Workshops) were set up as an association of artist-craftsmen (and women) making high quality products intended to stand apart from the mass produced merchandise available at the time. (this Thames and Hudson book is a brilliant visual as well as factual insight into this inspirational movement). I started the design originally to laser etch into cork tiles, only developing it into a design for fabric much later.






















Colourway trials. Printed onto a heavyweight natural ie unbleached furnishing linen.





















It was John Miles, tutor on my MA who suggested that I develop geometric fabrics as well as the botanical/floral collection - they can look pretty dramatic together and I often hang them side by side.




















The design's called VStripe even though it still says Vertigo on the selvedge, which was its working file title...











































Here's Milly (my mums dog), getting under my feet in the studio with Chip yesterday- two dogs are definitely double trouble!