Sunday, 23 March 2014

Pause for design...


Drawing is on pause at the moment - here's why...

(Background info.)
In 2006 I visited an exhibition at the Serpentine Gallery in London showing the work of the internationally acclaimed artist Thomas Demand. If you aren't familiar with his work, he makes intricate (and accurate to the minutest detail), life-size models of landscapes, room sets etc. out of cardboard which he photographs. He then destroys the model and exhibits the photographs. Read a review of the Serpentine exhibition (by Jesse Alexander) here. See more of his work at http://www.thomasdemand.info/images/photographs/

For the exhibition, he produced a realistic (block printed) Ivy wallpaper which could have been claustrophobic in a smaller room but in the vast Serpentine space had a tremendous impact and was fabulous!

Still inspired after nearly 8 years, when I sampled the colours of purple Ivy (below), I knew that I would design an Ivy fabric print of my own.


































It's not quite finished yet but this is how it's going. I'm hoping to screen print a (fabric) wall panel as well as digitally print a natural linen fabric for the 'Land, Sea, Sky' exhibition in May. Next the colour separations, then onto screen...

Three of the developmental stages, (no final colours yet)...













...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.