Monday 4 July 2016

Old House New Home - amazing blind!

It's been a year full of new challenges..!

In February, I had a very interesting phone call from the television company, Amazing Productions. They were working on a fab new home makeover show called 'Old House, New Home' for Channel 4, currently showing in the UK (here), and asked if George Clarke, architect and presenter, could help me print something in my studio as a surprise present to the homeowner, Emily. 

Here's George in my studio!!! 




















After working out what might be feasible in the time frame, we decided that I would design a blind that George and I would screen-print. The design was to be inspired by fragments of an old 1950's wallpaper that had been in Emily's bathroom. The wallpaper would have to go during the renovation and my new design would be an updated contemporary reference to it. 






















I only had a very short time span for this, but enjoyed the whole project immensely -
Here's a few extra images; printing with George; from my sketchpad; and of the blind on the print table...

Always amazing...printing!



















happy printers...



















The two options on the colourway were fuschia pink and silver along with a green and grey which matched the floor tiles and walls in the bathroom.  Here's the pink in my sketchbook, but after sampling, the silver was selected...


Raw linen, chartreuse, charcoal grey and silver...





















upside down on my print table...



































and of course the final made-up blind in Emily's house..! 


















Special thanks to the fantastic production team at Amazing Productions!
It was really lovely to meet George, also Emily, and the blind was beautifully sewn up by Julia at Finishing Touches' in South Molton.

Links...


We are running a new Photoshop to Screen-Printing short course in my studio in September, also a "Photoshop for Textiles" short course at West Dean College this Autumn. More Autumn Screen printing and Photoshop for Textiles workshop dates to be finalised soon...

http://westdean.assets.d3r.com/pdfs/original/13622-short-courses-2016-17-low-res-pdf.pdf