Saturday 9 June 2012

Colour from the season - Bullfinch orange

Helping Marie to get a print project off the ground, she told me that she spent the previous night printing and couldn't think of any better way to have fun on a Friday night! She asked what I'd been doing, and I told her I'd drawn a dead Bullfinch. I think my evening just had the edge over hers, though I know what she means about screen printing.

A friend found this beautiful (male) Bullfinch and gave it to me to draw. It was another rare opportunity to examine a wild bird closely.  This was the second sketch as I wanted to get it right - or until I felt ok with the drawing. The beak of the Bullfinch is designed for voraciously eating buds and fruit, the orange of its feathers is almost equal parts magenta and yellow...

































Outline sketch and first brush work - (acrylic paint)


















At this point I wasn't happy with it.


















Its coming on Samantha - as my art teacher at school would say (usually when I'd finished).

















...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.