Thursday 24 November 2011

Colour from the season - New Zealand flax pink

Not seasonal perhaps, but as the brighter colours in the garden are starting to fade - the simple muted palette and structural form of this New Zealand flax (Phormium) adds sophistication. Some people might find these muted colours too drab - to me they are reminiscent of Art Nouveau, of the poster illustrations of artists from that period such as Alphonse Mucha and Henri J. Detouche - subtle and organic. I find I respond to some subjects infinitely more than others and I really enjoyed drawing these...

























































Poster 1899 by Alphonse Mucha (1860-1939)





































Poster 1896 by Henri J. Detouche (1854-1913)


























If you like this post - you can subscribe to Planet Sam by email :) here.


...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.