Tuesday 21 January 2014

Colour from the season - Curly Kale - Purple

Getting burgled at the studio was a bad start to 2014. It affected my sleep as well as my spirits and I didn't feel like drawing. When this happens I begin to think I may never draw again(!) the designer's equivalent of writers block. The only way round this I've found from past experience, is to make myself draw, something...anything.

So I collected rose-hip sprays from a Rambling Rector and they've shrivelled in a vase for a week! I picked up some interesting Oak Galls (or Apples) attached tightly to Oak leaves, spent an hour drawing them, but tore the drawing from my notebook! Gathered shells on the beach (still in my pocket)!

Finally, It was the fabulous dusky purples and deep magenta of a curly Kale leaf (and it's ridiculously intricate frilly fronds), that helped shift my mind away from everything else and put pen to paper...





















































...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.