Friday 1 August 2014

Colour from the season - Marram Grass cream

It's easy to take familiar sights for granted. When I walked through the sand dunes at Crow Point last week on a mission to draw Marram Grass, I was reminded that although I often have an idea that I know something really well, when I start to look more closely I often find I hardly know it at all. This is why I prefer to draw from life. To hold a plant or object in your hand and examine its form from every angle, you really do get the whole sense of what makes it unique, which you just can't get in the same way from a photo.

The deep roots of Marram Grass play a vital role in stabilising the sand dunes and their spiky (tubular) grey green leaves slow the drift of the wind-carried sand, allowing other plant species to grow and thrive. It's a precarious balance as the dunes endlessly change shape with the ebb and flow of the tides, here are a few of the colours I discovered in these amazing grasses...
























...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.