Saturday 27 April 2013

Colour from the season - Lily cream

I think the reason I'm attracted to draw dead plants and flowers is just because I like muted hues. It's a huge generalisation, but I think I'm less attracted to saturated colours.

These Lilies had died in a vase (before opening) last week at a friends house when I was there for a birthday dinner and so luckily, (because she is as creatively untidy as I am!), we were able to appreciate how strangely beautiful these flowers had become, withered as they were on their stems – a sort of fallen ethereal glory of faded blue green leaves, ancient ochred pods and burnt orange pollen.

Decided in a rash moment (forgetting how pollen can stain!) to bring these home to draw...















































the Lilies at Elaine's on Clare's b'day..!

















...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.