Friday 3 June 2011

Colour from the Season - Foxglove purple

Common (wild) foxgloves are invading the banks and hedgerows at the moment. This one was collected from an area of cleared woodland where I spotted masses of them, humming with bumblebees.
Digitalis is used to make medicines for the treatment of heart conditions but it is also a deadly poison. All parts of the plant are highly toxic. It's slightly unnerving to handle plants which are this poisonous, especially when (as usual) I only discover the full degree of their toxicity after I've already drawn and dissected the plant.

















































the bumblebee who came into the kitchen to gather pollen from the foxglove while I was drawing.




















(off to wash my hands again!)



If you like this post - you can subscribe to Planet Sam by email :) here.



...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.