Wednesday 29 June 2011

Colour from the season - Stinking Iris purple

Seasonal colours don't stay around for too many weeks, I'm concentrating on the plants I like the idea of drawing as well as the colour interest - well, theres such a blooming abundance at the moment!

Stinking Iris (Iris foetidissima)... I documented the berry pods in January in a preserved salt air dried state when I came upon them at the coast, now here's the flower. It's a quiet sort of flower, easy to miss, but absorbing to draw. We inherited them with our garden and usually I forget about them until the structured pods open up in the Autumn revealing loud shiny orange berries. Named so because of the smell of roast beef when its leaves are crushed..?!
















































...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.