Thursday 30 August 2012

Colour from the season - Agapanthus Blue


Most of these sketches for my blog, I draw in a "legendary" Moleskine notebook which are ridiculously expensive but beautiful to use. Inside it says "used by artists and thinkers over the past two centuries" including van Gogh and Picasso - so it feels as though you can really achieve great things within them!

The downside of the A3 notebook is that the rather wonderful (Honesty seed pod) cream surface, rubs away to white when you use an eraser on it - I wonder if van Gogh had that problem (somehow I don't think so).

These are the colours from the statuesque Agapanthus (variety 'Luly'), flowering profusely this week - from the palest blue of a perfect flower, turning to deeper blue and pink as the flowers fade, finally the uniform green of the stem and leaves with deep purple at their base...


















































...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.