Thursday 23 August 2012

Colour from the Season - Hot Poker yellow


These Yellow Hot Pokers (Kniphofia 'Bees Lemon') were more startling in their structure when they were just opening, but I missed that brief opportunity to draw them in their younger state. Happily, I see beauty in half dead and even completely dead plants (incidentally I find the music of Leonard Cohen quite uplifting) and the soft shade of brown from the dead flower heads next to that yellow of Summer easily makes up for their less sprightly form.

Tricky to draw - I started at the stalk about a quarter way down from the top and worked outward from there, very absorbing and a good way to unwind...


p.s. thanks ever so much to Judith who dug up some of her plant and left it on my doorstep thinking I might love it - I do..!



If you like this post - you can subscribe to Planet Sam by email :) here.



...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.