Sunday 9 September 2012

Colour from the season - Arum berry orange

Wow! These fiery red/orange and contrasting green berries are dotted all over the woodlands in Devon at the moment, they are the sensational September colours from an Arum Maculatum.

Top of the stalk are the ripest red/orange berries descending into yellower shades of orange; next an in-between mix of orange and green as an unripe berry ripens; then there's a very vivid green berry and lastly the (seemingly!) gentler green of the stem. (I held the stem when I was sampling the colours and my fingers went a bit numb).

The colours of the hood and spathe can be found in my notebook (Willy Lily red - April 2011) here. Very poisonous - best not to eat these..!

















































...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.