Monday 11 March 2013

Colour from the Season - Oxalis Purpurea purple

I've been waiting patiently throughout the winter to note the colours and fascinating form of this plant. Just as I was planning to draw it last year, it stopped flowering and then went into total hibernation, at which point I thought I'd killed it (my house plants often only thrive if they're near the sink). But then, suddenly, about a month ago it started to re-emerge.

The leaves open and close like an umbrella, reminding me of an inspiring Issey Miyake pleats creation. The young leaves stay concertinaed for the first few days as they emerge, then as they grow fully they open almost inside out during the day and fold closely back together at night. The delicate flowers also open and close, but twisting inwards with a rotational twist - hard to describe, has really to be seen.

The colours change depending on the light, the time of day, the shadows. Pink and fresh green offset the deep purples and reds, exquisite...
...from my seasonal colour sample notebook.