Wednesday 6 March 2013

Colours from the Season - Leaf Buds


Printing in the studio - it's exhausting and exhilarating! I wake up in the morning feeling as though I've been lifting weights! Yesterday was the most joyous Springlike day, the buds are coming into leaf on the trees and I felt a skip in my step again...

Coming back to the studio, I looked back over some of the best budding leaves in my notebook pages over the past 3 years and decided to update a few of them and group them together so I could find them more easily. I enjoyed re-visiting them, and thought you might too - so in one big WHOOSH! here they are...

Vibernum - exquisite and sculptural when they first open, look out for them in March...



Rosa Rugosa - starts coming into leaf in February - very very spiky...





















































Alder - I had no idea what this tree was when I drew it (in March) two years ago - I've learned so much from keeping this notebook...



















































Dahlia, I sat and drew this outside on a very cold April day!



Hydrangea - not budding yet or mine aren't - I drew this one in April...

















































Yesterday printing new runners (Budgie and Chrysanth)...


















today Spring green...




























...from my seasonal Colour sample notebook.